Monday, March 11, 2013

A Labour of Love......


You know when you have a great idea and just can't wait to try it out......? This solid wood coffee and end tables were just that and I was so excited to start.  After researching the best products to use for wallpapering furniture and a durable usable top finish I went shopping and dove right in.  Here's were I learned about patience as this project was no were near as easy as my usual chalk paint and go......

This is the before of the coffee table


To start it took three coats of chalk paint to get coverage as the wood was such an dark finish, then sanding for the distressing, two coats of varathane and finally prepping the top for the wallpaper.

This is an end table just before the wallpaper application


Now we can start on the wallpaper........after extensive online research I went with Mod Podge to glue down my wallpaper and their matching sealer to finish.


First I cut my wallpaper with extra at all ends and took outside and sprayed with two coats of the clear acrylic sealer.  Once dry I brought back in and tight cut, then using a sponge brush applicator I applied evenly to the table top and to the back of the wallpaper.  You only have a tight time frame as this product sets up extremely fast!  After adhering starting in the middle I used the palm of my hands to press down and work the air bubble out and then switched to a wall paper smoothing brush to work out the harder air bubbles.  After it set and I still had some air pockets I used a pin and the smoothing brush again.  Once completely dry I did two more coats of the adhesive on top of the wallpaper, note to self immediately clean up any extra glue.  I wasn't paying attention and let some glue dry on the finished lip of the end table and paid the price of having to clean up dried Mod Podge, you do not want to do this!  Finally I finished with two more coats of the acrylic sealer.

This project took over my whole house and three very long days, the end result..........






 




I'm pretty darn happy with the end result and love the colour palette they look so fresh!  I'm not sure I'm interested in any more decoupage projects for awhile now....... These tables are for sale.

Sincerely,
Sasha



No comments:

Post a Comment