Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm Still Alive......

I know it seems like I've disappeared never to return, things have not only been crazy but my life is a little upside down right now.  Lets rewind a little; Tyler and I were finishing our shop and rebuilt our dogs kennel, I was still sneaking in a little furniture painting here and there.  We then decided that we wouldn't stop the renovations there, nope were where going to finish the front of the house as well.  This meant new windows were the Hardi Board was being installed, borrowing my father in laws bobcat to pull our front yard back and extend our parking........ This is were the snowball effect turned into an avalanche. 
To keep this long story somewhat short we ended up buying all new windows for the entire front of the house and the main floor of the back of the house, a new front door, a new custom window for over said new door, a brick retaining wall in front of the new parking, reforming and pouring an addition to our front steps, taking out the garage door (that wasn't actually usable as the garage was converted into the living room of our basement suite) building a wall in its place with a window, levelling the driveway so it no longer sloped down to the old garage door, and bringing in new rock for the entire driveway, taking out the grass on the side of the house and having rock there instead, moving our air conditioner from the front of the house to the side........


This doesn't even get into the removing of the old siding, brick, garage door and windows, framing in were the brick had been and for the new door so around the two lower windows and door were all a level surface for the ledge stone we've been dreaming about for years.  Living without a front door for weeks with nothing but plywood nailed over the opening.


Here is were the story goes from renovating to what I now call "EXTREME RENOVATING."  Through all this I was still working my full-time evenings 1430-2230 and upon one of those fateful nights when I arrived home from work at just after 2300.  Walking around to the back of the house since the front door was out of commission I was greeted by this site.


The first thought through my mind was, "were could that drywall and studs possibly have come from?" I look up to see my husband on the deck smiling.  Upon reaching the top of the deck stairs and looking through my french doors I realize I can see my living room TV from the deck and my two pantries, fridge and wall are missing.  I was quite speechless for the next little bit other then the words,"You took the wall out."


After overcoming my shock we started deciding how we were going to tackle this.  We already knew there was no way we could afford a brand new kitchen, we would have to work with what we had.  I've always wanted kitchen cabinets that go to the ceiling not only because of how beautiful and high end they look but so I never have to clean that grimy space above the cupboards again!  This paired with having to fix the ceiling were the wall use to be we decided to drop the ceiling in the kitchen six inches and then do a six inch crown moulding on the cabinets to the ceiling.  After much debate on starting and stopping the drop ceiling it was decided that we would extend the drop ceiling into the dining room as well.  This allowed me to get my much dreamed about pot lights in the entire kitchen and dining room and also down my hallway as well.  At this point with all the drywall repair and new drywalling we also decided it was the perfect time to replace all the baseboards, doors and jams.



Now let me paint a picture for you, I'm living in a house with no interior doors, window covers, multiple areas of wall missing drywall, no front door and work being done in every square inch of my house inside and out.  If this wasn't enough for my hair to turn grey already; tragedy struck, I was injured at work.  I won't go into details on this lets suffice to say I've now been at home for just over two months unable to do anything.


Here's were I leave you today and say thanks if you stayed with me to the end of this very long post.  The reno's are continuing and my amazing husband is not only doing this but working 10-16 hours a day, cleaning, cooking, doing laundry, and looking after me.  What more could a girl ask for?  

Sincerely,
Sasha

A few more random photos of the process........








 




No comments:

Post a Comment